miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2013

THE FAREWELL - FROM MY 30YW PLAY

Here's the most emotive scene from Der Löwe aus Mitternacht: Gustavus's last farewell to his beloved Eleanor! I promised I would write it later, and here it is!

SCENE IX. THE PARADE
The summer fades and segues into autumn... The Swedes have come to Thuringia in pursuit of Wallenstein. A military parade is held on the outskirts of Erfurt, on the 31st of October (like tomorrow, but in 1632!), and the royals are there. The sun shines through the clouds, but Eleanor seems for something serious to care.
Eleanor (worried): What are you thinking of?
Gustavus: Leipzig and Halle have already fallen...
Eleanor (weeping): Once more, the war tears us apart...
Gustavus (comforting her): But do I not always return to your arms?
Eleanor (weeping): Without you... Think of us... of our little girl!
Gustavus (comforting her): I have received a letter from her. She's writing better than before! (He reads aloud) "My best beloved father!" Yes! That's my child! My li'l Christina wishes me good luck...
Eleanor (worried): You will surely need it!
Gustavus (comforting her, and shedding a few tears): She wishes for a gift! We could buy her something in Leipzig, after our victory!
Eleanor (worried): Will you get through it?
Gustavus (comforting her): Darling, do you wish for a special gift as well?
Eleanor (weeping): Yes... I wish for... your life!
Gustavus (comforting her): Dear Eleanor! I have never seen you in such a mournful mood!
Eleanor (weeping): Last night I dreamt of something terrible!
Gustavus (comforting her): Of what?
Eleanor (weeping): Of a battle you fought against Wallenstein. There were daemons and wicked fairies on his side! And you...
Gustavus (comforting her): Did I fall?
Eleanor (weeping): Darling! Give me but one kiss before the battle is fought!
Gustavus (comforting her, and shedding a few tears): Yes! Only one kiss!
They kiss each other as the sun sets, and before the king falls, without regrets. Fair Eleanor knows her spouse must go forth into the fray, but she'll always remember his last kiss come what may.

This scene is so emotive because it showcases their feelings upon what will actually be the last farewell. Eleanor's prophetic dream serves as foreshadowing: The death of Gustavus comes as a foregone conclusion.
A letter from their only child adds to the heartwarming. That final kiss, an echo from Othello (the Verdi version), crowns such a display of tragic romance.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario