domingo, 12 de julio de 2015

A LITTLE MORE VERSES

A TRAITOR?

They say a translator
is a traitor
more elusive than a gator,
not worth even a small potator,
a real agitator,
to give the middle finger and say "see you lator,"
a bear-baitor,
a lie creator,
of great authors a castrator.

Well, they're partially wrong
and partially right.
Not every translator's
a traitor in sight.
And those who don't know it
just lack the insight.

For there's more than one go-getter,
who, translating without any fetter,
has actually made the target text even better,
the original to improve,
of which I do approve,
by making in translation always a right move.

In an Oliver Twist line, I got the word "pane:"
a glass sheet on a window to keep out the rain.
Nigh instinctively, I rendered this "pane" as "luna..."
And my teachers were so close to sing "O Fortuna!"
For the word "pane" can be in the neck a real pain (pane),
and other students had sought the right word in vain.
I think in writing "luna" I was the only one...
and I'm still proud and happy for what I had done!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario