viernes, 2 de junio de 2017

NOW IN THE STARLIT NIGHTTIME

This is my own translation of the love duet between Verdi's Othello and Desdemona in the opera, at the end of Act One, into English. I can also imagine my other OTPs (James and Lily, the Prince and the Princess in The Snow Queen, Nistro and Dextra, Finnick and Annie, even Akira and Yukari...) singing these duets. And also myself with whatever interesting husbando or bifauxnen waifu I may have found...

HE:
Now in the starlit nighttime,
all clamour fades away;
right now, my restless heart is
within your embrace soothed and
comes to its senses...
Let war break out, and let the end of days come,
should, after that great fury,
come even greater love!

SHE:
My warrior, so proud and tall!
How much I've sighed, how much I've shuddered, my darling,
and how much hope that
has led me to such soft, warm embracing!
Oh, how sweet is our lively conversation!
Do you remember?

When you told me of all your wayward lifetime,
shocking events that so long pain had wrought...
I listened to you, entranced... rather enraptured...
shuddering, teary, my heart 'gainst reason fought!

HE:
I painted for you battlefields,
and stormings,
perilous breachings through keep walls...
or climbing, clinging to ivy ropes,
up all the way to battlements,
as gunshots rang around!

SHE:
Then, you took me to dazzling remote wastelands,
to the parched grasslands of your own native soil...
how you, one day, were torn away from everything,
orphaned, enchained, constrained to want and toil...

HE:
Sweetened with crystal tears was
the story, by your lovely visage,
upon your lips, a sigh...
Upon my darkness then descended
glory, paradise, and...
all the stars in the sky...

SHE:
And I saw then upon your raven tresses
of wit the bright, unearthly beauty shine...

HE:
And you loved me for all of my distresses,
and your compassion made your heart be mine...

SHE:
And I loved you for all of thy distresses,
and my compassion made my heart be thine...

HE: 
And your compassion...
SHE:
And my compassion...
HE:
And your compassion made my heart be mine...
SHE:
...made my heart be thine...

HE:
If I could die now!
May I pass away in the elation of these embraces,
as we crown all our pleasure!
Such is my heart's enjoyment, that I dread that...
dread that...
that I will nevermore be given
this instant of such glee
within my unknown future destiny...

SHE:
Ne'er be to me a stranger,
may love with the years ne'er change him or change her!

HE:
May granted be your prayer...
How wonderful the stars are, and the power of love is!

SHE:
May it be granted...

HE:
Ah!! The floodgates of joy within me have opened!
I lie down to rest now...

Please kiss me!

(They kiss)

SHE:
My darling!

HE:
Please kiss me!

(They kiss a second time)

HE:
Please kiss me once more...

(They kiss for the third time)

HE:
Right now, the Seven Sisters are descending!
SHE:
It's early morning...
HE:
See? Venus is shining!
SHE: 
My darling!







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario